This life size bronze statue was built to honor Dr. James Edward Shepard, the founder of North Carolina Central University. This statue was made in 1956 by William Zorach, a Lithuanian-born sculptor known for his ceramic sculpture of Benjamin Franklin located in the U.S. Postal Building in Washington, D.C. The statue of Dr. James E. Shepard was unveiled in 1957. It is located in front of the Hoey Administration Building. This project was funded by the James E. Shepard Memorial Foundation. In 2005 the statue was removed to be restored and completely refurbished. The statue was reinstalled in 2006.